Monday, February 16, 2009

Why?

I'm starting this blog off with the big question-- why?

First-- because WE CAN!

Here is a wonderful explanation from a fellow librarian, Rachel Boyd, in New Zealand!



And, here is another answer to this question from people who have thought a lot about trends, Karl Fisch and Scott McLeod (it is worth watching the entire 8 minute plus video to the end):



My daughter attends an elementary school that does not have an internet accessible computer lab. This school is part of a large, urban school district. At least one third of the computers and printers that teachers and students use in their classrooms do not work well or not at all. When students go to the library, they check out books and take AR tests. Don't get me wrong, these are wonderful activities. Of course I want my daughter to check out books on a week to week basis. And, I want my daughter to occasionally take multiple choice reading comprehension test through AR. But these activities alone are not adequate to meet the demands that will be placed on her through her educational career and through her life in the 21st Century.

I am a librarian. I have some skills to share. While I may not be as "on top" of technological innovations as some of my amazing colleagues, I am someone who can help. And so, I am starting this blog for my daughter (and my son, my niece, their friends, and my students) and for what I hope will become a community of children who can write, think, create, reflect, synthesize, collaborate, analyze, imagine, and post about their lives, the world around them, and what they are learning.

I am also a parent and an educator who cares deeply about children. While I cannot solve every education problem, I can make a difference. I can think "outside the box." I can supplement what schools have to offer. When my students and children see me photographing, documenting, and reflecting upon their work, they realize that it is important work. Even something as simple as reading a book in the library takes on new meaning. As I was recently snapping photographs of students brainstorming ideas for writing and illustrating their own books, they asked me, "Mrs. Owen, are you going to put that on your blog?" I responded, "Of course! What could be more important? Your thoughts and ideas are valuable stuff, and I am amazed at your creativity."

I have been thinking about this project since Thursday when I had the idea for it on the way to work. My husband can testify to how excited I was about the idea, because I called him to tell him about it as I was in the midst of formulating the words to describe it. Then, this morning the New York Times published this article, "In Web Age, Library Job Gets Update". Let's just say that I was nudged along to get started. I'm inspired and challenged to do more. So, let's see what happens . . .

Future posts will describe who? how? what? when? and where?

If you are a parent with a child or children who may be interested in joining this blogging project, comment below or send me an e-mail at nolteowen@yahoo.com.

No comments: