Sunday, May 3, 2009

From a Caterpillar to a Butterfly

When Buddy was first big, Mama said to give him as much milkweed as he could have and to make sure that he didn't run out.

When I saw him coming out it was pretty cool. I was the first one to see his chrysalis turn from green to clear.

Just today, I learned that the butterfly came out of his chrysalis. We waited for my dad to come home from church and for the bad thunderstorms to pass. We tried to release him in the garage because it was still rainy. He did not want to fly away. He is still outside on a chair, hanging upside down, one hour later.

This is a photo of it hanging with me looking at it. The white thing on the chair is a cotton ball soaked in sugar water. Earlier on the computer, we found out a way to tell if it is a female or male. We discovered that Buddy is a female! Now, I've named it Matilda after my friend's pet pig.

Matilda is still in the garage!

My mom took these photos.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Tiffany Todd said...

How wonderful, Hobson!!! I can't wait to hear more about your butterfly :)
Mrs. Fitch (Henry and Hannah's Mom)